木子李 发表于 2009-1-8 14:59:23

My Impressions of Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes is my favorite novel character. He is someone that you can not guess what he will do next. His creator is Arthur Conan Doyle, who was born in May 22nd, 1859, in Edinburgh, Scotland. And in 1887-1927, Arthur had published many stories about Sherlock Holmes and all the stories are known together as The Complete Sherlock Holmes.
         The largest achievement of The Complete Sherlock Holmes is its plot and structure. Each story has its own thrilling plot, which stimulates the readers’ sentiment and makes them both feel fearful and want to stop but cannot actually. The structure is strict and the fluctuation is with meticulous care unconstrained, fascinating. It proposes every kind of question from every aspect and attracts the readers to move towards the matter gradually along with Sherlock Holmes’ footsteps to find the truth. The ending is often out of expectation and full of excitement. In terms of plot and structure, Arthur’s excellent skill has a deep influence on the development of the latter detective novels.
         Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson lived at 221B Baker Street in 1881-1904, according to the stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The famous 1st floor study overlooking Baker Street is still faithfully maintained as it was kept in Victorian Times.
         Sherlock Holmes, in China, is a widely known character. I think there are two reasons.
         First, Holmes is a vivid figure, with his keen sense of observation, his lean face and hooked nose, his long legs, his deerstalker hat, his magnifying glass, and his ever-present pipe. This personality is what caught the reader's imagination. He is not separated from the real life. He shuttles back and forth in the streets and alleys in the foggy London, appears and disappears in the cities and the villages, and contacts with various professions with all sorts of people, in ordinary populace which is similar to us and makes readers to be very easy from the heart to admit him, to approve him.
         Second, his spying experience and methods also has certain model significance until now. Above all, he takes the investigation and study seriously, and to the case he undertakes, he must go to the scene nearly to carry on the careful investigation without exception. Next, he treats the case responsibly, disregards difficulties and perils frequently, and sometimes even carries on the poisonous gas experiment on himself. Once more, he is good at utilizing the psychology and the logic. Moreover, he also extremely pays attention to the collection of materials and the accumulation of knowledge, and his extensive knowledge and rich experience of life let readers admire extremely.
         The Complete Sherlock Holmes, as earlier work, though lacks of the real, profound social meaning, it has the reference effect for us to understand the characteristics and development process of this kind of literature.
by李文珊
页: [1]
查看完整版本: My Impressions of Sherlock Holmes