玲珑 发表于 2009-1-7 20:51:12

Book Report on Pride and Prejudice

Depicting the love stories of young people, Pride and Prejudice reflected the daily life and beliefs of middle class in small towns of Britain, from eighteenth century to nineteenth century.
      Mrs. Bennet had five daughters and the business of her life was to get her daughters married, especially with rich ones. She was quite delighted with the new neighbor, Mr. Bingley, who was a young man of large fortune. At a ball, Mr. Bingley fell into love with Jane at the first sight, which made Mrs. Bennet as happy as a lark because Jane was the eldest and most charming one, at least in her eyes among, the five ladies..
      Mr. Darcy drew the attention of many girls in the neighborhood by his handsome features and noble mien. However, he was quite proud and slighted all the girls, including Elizabeth Bennet, who was Mrs. Bennet,s second eldest daughter with self-esteem. Because of his pride, she determined to take no notice of him. His pride prejudiced her against him. However, he admired her before long. At another ball, he asked her to dance with him, but she refused, which made him rather flustered.
      As Elizabeth went to Pemberley, where Mr. Darcy and his sister lived in, with her uncle and aunt, she met Darcy again. To her great surprise, she found that he was not only polite but also respectable in the neighborhood. Her prejudice against him declined. At that time, she got a letter from Jane. It was about their young sister Lydia, who had eloped with Wickham, who was in debt because of gamble. The news came as a bolt from the blue, which made her ashamed as she thought Darcy would look down upon her. On the contrary, Darcy helped Wickman pay the debt off and made their marriage fixed on.
      Mr. Bingley and Jane were completely reconciled after some twists and turns. Mr. Darcy made a promise to Elizabeth again. Finally, the couple, whose relationship had once been delayed because of pride and prejudice, got married.
      From the story happened in Britain, in which the female protagonist who was prejudiced while the male protagonist who was pride finally fell into love and lived a happy life, we can learned something about human nature, dignity, and so on.
      Pride and Prejudice was one of Jane Austen’s famous works. The novel was based on daily life which reflected the different attitude of those young ladies towards love by describing their different ways to deal with marriage. According to the novel, it was not difficult to tell the writer’s opinions on marriage that it was wrong to get married because of properties, money and social position and that it was stupid to marry without taking those into consideration. The perfect marriage was of great importance and the marriage should be based on their affections towards each other. Elizabeth was born in a family with low position while Darcy in high social class. In spite of the gap between their social status and properties, Darcy proposed to Elizabeth who refused first. There were various reasons behind the rejection. One was Elizabeth’s misunderstanding about him and prejudice against him. The most important one was that she hated his pride from the bottom of her heart. In fact, Darcy’s pride was a reflection of different social classes. They would not maintain their relationship if the pride goes on. Elizabeth’s attitude towards Darcy’s proposal was indicated women’s pursuit of independence in personality and equality.
      Elizabeth was a smart, brave and farsighted lady with self-esteem. As a unmarried woman at that time, the choice she made was not a easy one. To a large extent, it was her character that led to the happy marriage.
      The close relationship between Elizabeth and Jane moved me a lot. The pair knew each other very well and cared deeply with each other. When Jane became ill at Netherfield, Elizabeth took three miles’ walk through the mud herself to visit Jane. When Elizabeth herself became engaged to Darcy, Jane was the first person she told.
      There were marriages of Elizabeth’s sisters and her girlfriends’ which were described to be compared with that of Elizabeth’s perfect marriage. Take the marriage between Charlotte and Mr. Collin for example. The two lived a luxurious life without love. Such king of relationship, in my eyes, was a tragedy.
      When I was reading the novel, I compared myself with the characters, asking myself what I would do if I were in their positions. At the very beginning, I disliked Mr. Darcy for his pride. However, the opinion changed as the stories went on. Finally, when I finished enjoying the novel, I did admire Mr. Darcy because he changed a lot for love, sincerely and bravely. As for Elizabeth, I appreciated her determination, her love toward her sister Jane, her quickness of observation and her unique character. From their stories, I knew what love was and that we should think twice before made decisions rather than in haste.
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Book Report on Pride and Prejudice