李欣蔚 发表于 2008-10-24 22:29:51

“Sister”, Mother

The Taiwanese girl group “Twins”, which is made up of two girls, released their new album early this year. A song by Charlene Choi(蔡卓妍) touched my heart string as soon as I heard the melody and the lyrics. The song’s name is “Sister”(“妹妹”). However, it was written for her mother, who she would rather was her sister so that she could take care of her and give her a carefree and non-burden life. Yesterday afternoon, when I was listening to the radio, the song flew into my ears again, together with the DJ’s words: “Because of this song, Charlene won the prize ‘the most popular singer’. During the awarding ceremony, her mother was sitting off the stage among the audience while she was singing this song on stage.” Hearing these words, I was instantly moved into tears, imaging the very scene and the feelings of both the mother and the daughter. Immediately, memories of my mother rushed into my mind and flooded me.
      My mother was a teacher. She taught math in a primary school in our town. Together with her, I began to receive education in the same school. She was such a strict teacher that all her students were afraid of her. Whereas I seemed to be a mischievous girl, spending much time after school playing with other teachers’ sons and daughters around every corner of the schoolyard, which was regarded as a paradise by us all. Normally, Mom would seriously give me punishment every time I did wrongdoings or disobey the school’s rules. She taught me rope jumping, and compelled me to practice every day. “She doesn’t love me at all.” I murmured in my heart.
      In the year of my third grade, we moved to the county, my father still working in another town. Because of the move, I transferred to a school in the county, which was a high-level one in my eyes. Soon, I found lots of rules to obey in the new school. Fortunately, most of the rules had been exposed to me for many times by Mom, so I managed to get along with them. As a newcomer, what’s more, a country girl, I was inevitably shy in the class and seldom talked with the classmates. Things didn’t change until a special PE class was over. In that PE class, the teacher tested the new students’ ability in one-minute rope jumping. Thanks to a great deal of practice I had done, I did an excellent job. Compliments of the teacher and admirations of the classmates made me find confidence again.
      Since that time on, a ten-year-old began to understand her mother’s wisdom and love.
      Time flew quickly. Soon I finished my 12-year school life, ending with the College Entrance Examinations. The next few days were of extraordinary hilariousness for us students, being completely free from burdens. Finally, the day on which the scores would be released came. It seemed as if I had sensed something bad would happen, I stayed in my best friend’s house the former night. Late in that afternoon, I went back home, finding Dad still playing on the computer and Mom preparing for supper.
      “Have you searched out your scores on the Internet?” Mom asked during supper. I shook my head with eyes staring at the rice in the bowl. “557. Not too bad.” She said, in a relaxed tone. “What major do you want to choose? I would seek for information with your father.” “I’ve no idea…” With the numbers striking me like a thunder in a sunny day, I held back my tears, finished the meal, and then rushed into my room. There I cried wildly in the quilts and thought myself as an absolute failure.
      The next morning, Mom came to my room. Caressing my face and swollen eyes, she asked, “Hungry? Here is a ten-Yuan note. Now it’s new and clean. It can buy you a big cake, right?” I nodded, not knowing her intention. “What if I do this?” she dropped it on the floor and started to grind it with her shoe. Then she picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. “Can it still buy a cake?” “Of course,” I replied. “So… No matter what I did to the money, it can buy a cake because it didn’t decrease in value. It is still worth ten Yuan. Similarly, many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and grounded into the dirt by the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless; but no matter what happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value. Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who love you. The worth of our lives comes, not in what we do or who we know, but by who we are.” Hearing these soft words, I could no longer hold back my tears. Weeping in her bosom, I heard her speaking in whispers, “If you carry on, one day something good will happen. Something wouldn’t have happened if not for that previous disappointment. See, here comes the chance of college life, you wouldn’t give it up, would you?” No words could I utter but to nod heavily.
      Mom smiled and then went out of my room, leaving her words deeply imprinted in my mind. Instead of disappointment, Dad and Mom showed their forgiveness to me and continuing confidence in me. I was still regarded as their most valuable treasure as before. The first time I was overwhelmed with a feeling of responsibility not only for myself but also for my parents.
      At the age of 19, I experienced my first love, however, followed with a trauma. In those several unfeeling days last winter, my soul almost went out of my body, and I couldn’t concentrate on anything I saw. One night, I sat side by side with my Mom in the bed watching TV as usual, the quilts covering our legs. Perhaps Mom had noticed my absent-mindedness. She took out a photo from her photo album and showed it to me. It was their wedding photo, a small, old, plain, black and white photo. However, in sharp contrast, in the photo there were two young, beautiful and energetic protagonists. They were wearing the brightest and sweetest smiles I had ever seen. Looks in their eyes radiated happiness and love, permeating the whole atmosphere. I was completely absorbed in appreciating the photo until Mom patted me tenderly and smiled to me, “Being together with your father, and later with you, a pleasant product of our love, I am surrounded by endless happiness. Occasional indispensable quarrels are just seasoning our love, since we can tolerate, understand and support each other. This is what’s called true love. Now, you are still young. Love is a sweet yet bitter experience. But you should bare in mind that the brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can’t get on well in life unless you let go of your past failures and heartaches.”
      Her words at length pulled me through the hard time. On the morning of my leaving for college again, I asked Mom, “How did you know that I was bothered by love affairs those days?” She replied softly, “Because you are my daughter.”
      Yes, I have been your daughter, naughty, careless and troublesome. And I will always be your daughter, mature, understanding, and supporting.
      Mom, for the first time, I would tell you. I love you.

[ 本帖最后由 李欣蔚 于 2008-10-24 22:37 编辑 ]

Cinderella 发表于 2008-10-28 13:12:44

imaging the very scene and the feelings of both the mother and the daughter________imagining....

Together with her, I began to receive education in the same school_________your mother is not receiving education there. Improve this sentence please.

Normally, Mom would seriously give me punishment every time I did wrongdoings or disobey the school’s rules. ________normally, would, every time: those three words repeat themselves here, please delete two of them.

Fortunately, most of the rules had been exposed to me for many times by Mom, ____many times, not "for many times"

Cinderella 发表于 2008-10-28 13:14:54

:hug: So lucky you have such a wise and loving mother.

But you should bear in mind that the brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can’t get on well in life unless you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who love you.

李欣蔚 发表于 2008-10-28 22:46:01

Thanks for your corrections.:loveliness:

1.Hearing these words, I was instantly moved into tears, imagining the very scene and the feelings of both the mother and the daughter.
2.Living together with her in the school, I began to receive education.
3.Mom seriously give me punishment every time I did wrongdoings or disobey the school’s rules.
4.Fortunately, most of the rules had been exposed to me many times by Mom.

[ 本帖最后由 李欣蔚 于 2008-10-28 22:47 编辑 ]

Cinderella 发表于 2008-10-28 22:51:17

:)

yaling 发表于 2008-10-29 23:02:04

You are so lucky to have such a considerate mother who understand you so deep. Everytime mentioning about my parents, I feel a little pity because it seems there is obviously a generation gap between us. I don't know how to get rid of it. For most of the time, I would rather sharesomethingwith my friends or peersbut notwith them.

Cinderella 发表于 2008-10-30 00:23:23

Parents are not there to share our opinion with. Parents are there to be respected, to be loved, to be taken care of. There are as many kinds of parents just as there are various people in this world. Do not envy others for their parents, for your own parents also do you some good but it's a pity you haven't realized it.

Remember my words, your parents have brought you to this world, and they are to be taken care of by you. They have loved you in their own ways, and you are going to love them in your unique way. No one stone resemble another. No one kind of love resembles another.

We get what we give. And we give what we get.
页: [1]
查看完整版本: “Sister”, Mother