Dorothy 发表于 2008-9-19 14:17:24

Hancock in Me

Hancock in Me

As the summer vacation was approaching, I watched a movie named Hancock, which I had really been expecting for a long time ever since I saw its trailer on Youtube weeks ago. Though the raw combination of the clips selected from the movie did not reflect much about its plot, it was already attractive enough to pull me to the box office and pay for the ticket without any tiny little hesitation.

The whole story began with a short and funny conversation between Hancock who was lying on a bench alongside the street, drunk, and a schoolboy who happened to pass by. Which impressed me firstly was the way that Hancock behaved when he was called an asshole. Then what made me even more astonished was the way he did his heroic rescue with the bench destroyed when he took off, the highway crashed when he was trying to stop the robbers’ car, and ultimately a skyscraper damaged when he lifted their car and hung it on the building’s needle-shaped top. At that very moment, I actually had already started to wonder whether the amount of money he just saved back from the robbers could meet the loss he had caused. Obviously, however, that was not what Hancock himself cared about. He still went on rescuing in his own way, ignoring people’s complaint but I could tell that he was, in fact, feeling very isolated deep inside under the cover of all his whatever-expressions.

The time finally came for him to make a change when he saved a public relations manager who shared the same feeling with him because none of the company’s shareholders was interested in his charity project. Being grateful to Hancock, the manager was determined to help him build up a new image of himself as a superhero of the city. However, to Hancock’s great surprise, the first step of the manager’s plan was that Hancock surrendered himself.

The plan went on as they expected, the criminal rate was increasing dramatically during the time when Hancock was in prison. People started to miss him and require his release. Under social pressure, the police had no choice but to let him go at last. With the charming new outfit that the manager had made for him, communicating skills that he taught him and the tips that he told him to pay attention to, Hancock did a pretty good job this time and gained all people’s sincere gratitude.

Certainly, life would not always move on peacefully, especially for a guy like Hancock who had saved many people and at the same time got hated by those bad guys. One of them came back to him to revenge his hand cut by Hancock once before. He took advantage of Hancock’s deadly shortcoming that the closer he got to his ex-wife, a superwoman and now the wife of the manager, the weaker his super power would be. Anyhow, Hancock managed to survive but in order to maintain his super power to guard the people in the city, he had to go on with his lonely life in the abandoned van on top of a wild mountain and always be ready when he was in need.

As I finished writing the above, the words in the trailer suddenly flashed back into my mind. It said, “There are heroes. There are superheroes. Then there’s… Hancock!” Thinking about that, I realized maybe I was wrong describing him as a hero or a superhero. He was none of the two types. All the heroes and superheroes I have ever known are mostly white persons who, besides being what they really are, usually have a proper job, for instance, Spiderman works as a press-photographer, but Hancock is just an African American guy who will either drink or wander around if he was not engaged in a rescue. Moreover, like universally-known Superman, the heroes and superheroes I knew are always in their tidy suits while working and in their fantastic uniform while rescuing. As for Hancock, he has got nothing but his worn jersey and shorts until the manager makes an outfit for him.

He gets drunk, makes mistakes, turns depressed and cheers up after all. Isn’t he just like one of us? He is unique yet he is ordinary. Previous heroes and superheroes have always seemed so far away from me. Hancock, on the contrary, seems so near as if he is currently lying somewhere within me. And I have even got some characters of his, of course, except for the drinking one. I sometimes feel that I have his carelessness and impertinence that lead to the numerous mistakes I have ever made. Fortunately, I have his modest and willpower as well so that I could, in most cases if not always, correct them right after they were discovered. I sometimes feel that I have his sensitivity and emotionality that end up in a gush of tears most of the time. Luckily, I also have his optimism and liberality that could drag me out of my depression though it might take some time. What’s more, I am now holding the firm belief that within me I have his super power which enables me to fly and acts as a drop of bright sunshine that will guide me through the darkest nights.

Believe me. Everyone has Hancock in him. You may have not yet felt anything about that. But don’t worry! Hancock does get drunk and throw himself directly onto the bench sometimes, remember? Just have a try at dealing with the things that you never ever had the courage to face. Making a breakthrough is the key to wake him up. After that, you are surely to find something new.

[ 本帖最后由 Dorothy 于 2008-9-20 22:52 编辑 ]

Cinderella 发表于 2008-9-21 16:00:01

:hug:You've done a perfect job. We embody our feelings and thoughts in our writings. And you did it.
Hancock
Thanks. I'll watch it some time later.

Dorothy 发表于 2008-9-21 20:36:56

回复 2# 的帖子

:hug: Thank you! In fact, it's not perfect yet. There must be something that can be further improved and I will try to do it better next time.

The movie is really wonderful and worth watching not only for its well-conceived story and fantastic action scenes but also for the leading actor Will Smith who is, in real life, a perfect man. Hope you'll enjoy it. And please don't forget to share your comments on this movie with me right after watching it,will you? :loveliness:

[ 本帖最后由 Dorothy 于 2008-9-23 16:15 编辑 ]

reterliue 发表于 2008-9-22 20:34:31

Ialsolike this movie!!

Dorothy 发表于 2008-9-24 19:59:14

回复 4# 的帖子

:loveliness:I like Will Smith more than I like the movie itself. Lol~
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Hancock in Me