Summer 发表于 2008-6-20 22:40:42

The Love Conflicts

Review of The Joy Luck Club

In America, the mothers find it hard to understand the directions their daughters are taking. Some marry whites, who have bad table manners. They move out of the old neighborhood into houses that seem too modern and cold. One daughter despairs of ever satisfying her mother, who criticizes everything she does.

These stories are about Chinese and Chinese-American characters, but they are universal stories. Anyone with parents or children, which is to say, everyone, will identify with the way that the hopes of one generation can become both the restraints and the inspirations of the next.

Certainly I didn’t understand this entire movie, because it was produced, or directed in American way. Anyway, I surely think I have caught some part of its meaning.

Most I want to talk is the way of life. Love is the first thing that I tough and feel in this story. Everything related to that white swan feather, hope, care, good intentions can be understood as the special forms of love from mother to daughters, from parents to kids. And in the name of love, mothers arranged way of life for their daughters. Shall I say because they had Chinese cultural background? But none of those four daughters understood their mothers’ love until they happened to meet big troubles, or rather frustration in their own life, especially Rose and Lena. Shall we say living the personal way or the arranged way is better? Objectively speaking, it is difficult to judge.

But is that to say we don’t need to listen to them, don’t learn from them, or even hurt them? When old Yingying wept alone in her empty room, it occurred to me that it was unfair when a mother gave her best love to her daughter but got back sadness. And in the reality, conflicts between parents and kids such as the one Lindo and Waverly used to have are always in existence.

It was strange that all of the main characters are women, mothers and daughters. Mothers suffered a lot in the old times in China. When they moved to America and accepted American culture, they must have changed a lot in their minds. Therefore they wanted to affect their daughters and give spirits to them. They just wanted to educate daughters in a different way, not like theirs. But fate seemed to be the God. Every time they tried to arrange the living way for their daughters, but there came the failure. Daughters, maybe because of American born, refused, and desired a personal way. But Mothers are inculpable. Whether you choose to insist or to obey, do remember the “white swan feather”, which carries the most sincere love in the world.

When June carried the message that their mother had passed away to meet her elder sisters in China, two different cultures mixed together, and two completely different ways of life began to impact in their life. Also, June carried the hope, in my opinion, the hope of her mother, Suyuan. It seemed that finally those daughters understood their mothers, mothers’ love, mothers’ hope, and spirits.

[ 本帖最后由 Summer 于 2008-6-20 22:45 编辑 ]

Cinderella 发表于 2008-7-6 14:05:21

Every time they tried to arrange the living way for their daughters, but there came the failure_______删除but

not bad, the essay
页: [1]
查看完整版本: The Love Conflicts