Cinderella 发表于 2015-4-16 16:29:14

The world's happiest man

http://www.odemagazine.com/doc/42/the_world_s_happiest_man

He meditated for 10,000 hours, wrote a bestseller with his famous father and became France's most celebrated Buddhist - and its most contented citizen. Ode visited Matthieu Ricard to learn about "the science of the mind" and how it might end human suffering.

Tijn Touber | April 2007 issue

A telephone at each ear and a laptop on his knees: Behold the Buddhist monk who wanted to lead a quiet, meditative life but begrudgingly became a media star. The book he wrote with his father, The Monk and the Philosopher, turned Matthieu Ricard into a celebrity, particularly in his native France. Now - having just arrived from his home in Nepal - he's sitting in a luxurious apartment in Paris with a journalist from the Netherlands. Cheerful, relaxed, the epitome of calm - yet with a telephones in either hand.

Life can certainly take surprising turns, particularly if you're Matthieu Ricard and you find yourself part of the Parisian jet set as a young man, only to reject that lifestyle. His father, who died last year, was the philosopher Jean-Franois Ricard, who wrote a number of bestsellers, including Without Marx or Jesus, under the name "Jean-Franois Revel." He wasn't exactly pleased when his son announced at the age of 25 that he wanted to become a Buddhist. After all, like his father, Matthieu doesn't do anything halfway. He travelled to Nepal, donned a red habit and spent time in monasteries under the guidance of various teachers to master the central theme of the Buddha: putting an end to all suffering - beginning with one's own. So was young Ricard so unhappy? "No, not at all in fact," he says. "I actually had everything a young man could want." His parents were a wonderful couple who appeared to have a magnetic attraction, drawing all kinds of interesting people into their lives. Poet AndrŽ Breton, dancer Maurice BŽjart and painters Leonora Carrington and Yahne Le Toumelin were his mother's close friends. When his father organized dinners, the guest list included the likes of filmmaker Luis Buouel, politician M‡rio Soares and photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson. Not exactly a boring crowd to grow up around. "And yet," Matthieu muses from the large divan in his mother's apartment, "something kept gnawing at me. I often had the uneasy feeling that life was slipping through my fingers - as if I was only using a fraction of my potential. But I had no idea how to tap into the hidden possibilities." Moreover, Ricard saw that the genius many of his parents' friends possessed didn't necessarily make them better people: "Despite their artistic, scientific or intellectual qualities, they weren't any nicer or more altruistic than anyone else." Where, Ricard asked himself during his younger years, can I find wise men like Plato or Socrates who can teach me practical wisdom? Who can show me the deeper meaning of life and give me a noble goal to live for? The answer came from an unexpected place. One day while visiting a friend, he saw film shorts about the Tibetan lamas. These made a deep impression. "I remember thinking: 'If it's possible for a human being to achieve perfection, then this must be it.' I also realized at that moment that I'd never be able to meet Plato or Socrates. But these men were directly approachable."

Not long after, he traveled to northern India. There, at the foot of the Himalayas, he met his first teacher, Kangyour Rinpochee, in the summer of 1967. "I stayed with him for three weeks, although we couldn't exchange a word with one another. I simply sat across from him and intensely enjoyed the friendly serenity he radiated." Back in Paris, it began to dawn on him how important that meeting had been. At the time, Ricard was working as a molecular biologist at the prestigious Pasteur Institute, where he did research under Professor Franois Jacob, who had won the Nobel Prize in Medicine two years earlier. Jacob put Ricard in contact with science giants such as Jacques Monod and AndrŽ Lwoff, but the young researcher's thoughts continued to drift. "I kept thinking about the lama," he remembers, "particularly about his way of being. Finally I had found someone who really inspired me, who could give my life direction and meaning." In 1972, Ricard decided to go live with the lama so he could dedicate himself to studying what seemed to be most essential: the science of the mind. Today, grinning widely, he says: "I never regretted it for a moment." In India and Nepal he came in contact with people completely different from the Parisian elite he grew up with. Says Ricard: "These people are much less focused on themselves. In the West, there's a strong emphasis on personality - on the individual - who must find an original way to express himself no matter what. Western artists, for example, must continually reinvent themselves and allow their fantasy free reign. They try to create imaginary worlds and elicit strong emotions. But Tibetan artists use their art to simply try and fathom the nature of reality. There are wonderful artists there, but their personalities remain completely in the background. They are essentially anonymous." After his first teacher, Kangyour Rinpochee, died in 1975, Ricard met his second teacher, Khyentse Rinpoche, whom he stayed with for 12 years. "Rinpoche" is an honorary title given to special lamas, meaning "the precious one in humankind." In 1979, Ricard was officially initiated. "It gave me an overwhelming feeling of freedom. I had definitively left the busy, externally focused Western world behind and could finally spend all my time awakening in anonymity."

674112981 发表于 2015-4-27 20:49:12

Not long after, he traveled to northern India. There, at the foot of the Himalayas, he met his first teacher, Kangyour Rinpochee, in the summer of 1967. "I stayed with him for three weeks, although we couldn't exchange a word with one another. I simply sat across from him and intensely enjoyed the friendly serenity he radiated." Back in Paris, it began to dawn on him how important that meeting had been. At the time, Ricard was working as a molecular biologist at the prestigious Pasteur Institute, where he did research under Professor Franois Jacob, who had won the Nobel Prize in Medicine two years earlier. Jacob put Ricard in contact with science giants such as Jacques Monod and AndrŽ Lwoff, but the young researcher's thoughts continued to drift. "I kept thinking about the lama," he remembers, "particularly about his way of being. Finally I had found someone who really inspired me, who could give my life direction and meaning." In 1972, Ricard decided to go live with the lama so he could dedicate himself to studying what seemed to be most essential: the science of the mind. Today, grinning widely, he says: "I never regretted it for a moment." In India and Nepal he came in contact with people completely different from the Parisian elite he grew up with. Says Ricard: "These people are much less focused on themselves. In the West, there's a strong emphasis on personality - on the individual - who must find an original way to express himself no matter what. Western artists, for example, must continually reinvent themselves and allow their fantasy free reign. They try to create imaginary worlds and elicit strong emotions. But Tibetan artists use their art to simply try and fathom the nature of reality. There are wonderful artists there, but their personalities remain completely in the background. They are essentially anonymous." After his first teacher, Kangyour Rinpochee, died in 1975, Ricard met his second teacher, Khyentse Rinpoche, whom he stayed with for 12 years. "Rinpoche" is an honorary title given to special lamas, meaning "the precious one in humankind." In 1979, Ricard was officially initiated. "It gave me an overwhelming feeling of freedom. I had definitively left the busy, externally focused Western world behind and could finally spend all my time awakening in anonymity."

不久后,他去印度北部旅行。那是1967年的夏天,在那里,在喜马拉雅山脚下,他遇到了他的第一位人生导师,甘珠尔活佛。“尽管我们不能进行任何言语上的沟通,但我还是与他相处了三个星期。我只是和他相对而坐,沉浸在那份从他身上散发出来的平和宁静里。”回到巴黎后,他才意识到那次的邂逅对他至关重要。那时候,作为一位分子生物学家,理查德在著名的巴斯德研究所就职,并在弗朗索瓦·雅各教授的指导下做研究。这位教授曾在两年前获得诺贝尔医学奖。雅各带理查德接触了许多科学巨人,如雅克·莫诺和安德列·利沃夫,但这位年轻的研究员对这些并不感冒。“我总会想到那个喇嘛,”他回想到:“尤其是他存在的方式。最后我发现了谁才能启发我,谁才能指导我的人生方向和意义。”1972年,为了致力于研究似乎是最基本的心灵科学,理查德决定搬去与那位喇嘛同住。“我从未后悔过。”现在他笑容灿烂地说。在印度和尼泊尔,他接触的人形形色色,这些人和以前他身边的那些巴黎精英们完全不同。理查德说:“这些人不那么专注于自己。西方强调个性,崇尚个人主义,不管怎样,人们都必须找到表达自己的独特方式。比如西方的艺术家们,他们必须不停地改造自身,让想象力支配自己。他们试图创造幻想的世界,抒发强烈的情感。但藏族艺术家们仅仅是想用他们的艺术来探寻现实的本质。这里有许多出色的艺术家,但他们的个性完全隐于幕后。他们基本上都是无名的。”1975年,理查德的第一位人生导师甘珠尔活佛去世。随后,他遇到了自己的第二位人生导师,钦哲活佛,他与这位导师共同生活了12年。“活佛”是一种授予高僧的荣誉称号,意思是“不凡的人。”1979年,理查德正式剃度出家。“这使我无比自由。我脱离了那个表面专注、忙碌的西方世界,最终能在无名中清醒地度过一生。”

674112981 发表于 2015-4-27 21:16:50

老师,我是张书玮,由于我密码找不到了,所以用曹蓓的账号发。。。
Moreover, Ricard saw that the genius many of his parents' friends possessed didn't necessarily make them better people: "Despite their artistic, scientific or intellectual qualities, they weren't any nicer or more altruistic than anyone else." Where, Ricard asked himself during his younger years, can I find wise men like Plato or Socrates who can teach me practical wisdom? Who can show me the deeper meaning of life and give me a noble goal to live for? The answer came from an unexpected place. One day while visiting a friend, he saw film shorts about the Tibetan lamas. These made a deep impression. "I remember thinking: 'If it's possible for a human being to achieve perfection, then this must be it.' I also realized at that moment that I'd never be able to meet Plato or Socrates. But these men were directly approachable."
不仅如此,理查德发现他的朋友们所拥有的天赋并没有将他们塑造成更优秀的人,:“除去他们身上的艺术感,科学性以及智慧,他们也与其他人一样,并没有心怀天下。”当理查德还小的时候,他曾经问过自己,我能找到像柏拉图或i苏格拉底那样可以教给我实用智慧的智者吗?谁可以告诉我生命的深层意义?谁又可以给我一个能够终身追随的目标?而问题的答案却在不经意间被理查德找到。某天,在他拜访朋友时,偶然间看到了关于西藏喇嘛的短片。这给他留下了很深的印象。“我记得当时我在想‘如果说有些人是完美的话,那就是他们了。’我同时意识到,我不可能遇见柏拉图和苏格拉底了,这些人才是我所能追求到的。

kira 发表于 2015-4-27 23:18:42

刘柯恋 翻译
He meditated for 10,000 hours, wrote a bestseller with his famous father and became France's most celebrated Buddhist - and its most contented citizen. Ode visited Matthieu Ricard to learn about "the science of the mind" and how it might end human suffering.

Tijn Touber | April 2007 issue

A telephone at each ear and a laptop on his knees: Behold the Buddhist monk who wanted to lead a quiet, meditative life but begrudgingly became a media star. The book he wrote with his father, The Monk and the Philosopher, turned Matthieu Ricard into a celebrity, particularly in his native France. Now - having just arrived from his home in Nepal - he's sitting in a luxurious apartment in Paris with a journalist from the Netherlands. Cheerful, relaxed, the epitome of calm - yet with a telephones in either hand.

经过日复一日的苦思冥想,最终他和自己久负盛名的父亲一同创作出版了一本畅销书,他也因而成为了法国名望极高的佛教徒,深谙知足常乐之道。奥德此次拜访马修.李卡德就是为了向他探讨“心灵的科学及其如何实现终结人类苦难”。
Tijn Touber|2007年4月刊
    两只耳朵都在接电话,腿上放着一台电脑。看啊!那个原本只想安安静静过日子,静坐冥想的僧人,无奈现在却被各大媒体追捧。马修与父亲共同创作的《僧侣与哲学家》一书使他声名大振,尤其在故乡法国。现在,他刚从尼泊尔的家离开抵达巴黎,正与一名荷兰记者一同坐在一套奢华的公寓里。尽管双手都接着电话,但他看起来依旧心情愉悦,气定神闲,从容淡定。

kira 发表于 2015-4-27 23:35:41

刘柯恋修改 曹蓓部分(最后一段)
1.“尽管我们不能进行任何言语上的沟通,但我还是与他相处了三个星期。我只是和他相对而坐,沉浸在那份从他身上散发出来的平和宁静里。”
改:尽管我们语言不通,沟通困难,但我仍然与他一起呆了三个星期。我只是和他相对而坐,沉浸于他所散发的平和宁静之中。
2.Ricard---理查德
改:李卡德
3.雅各带理查德接触了许多科学巨人。
改:雅各布带理查德接触了许多科学界的泰斗。
4.最后我发现了谁才能启发我,谁才能指导我的人生方向和意义。
改:我终于找到那个能真正启发我的人,指导我的人生方向,让我领悟到生命的真谛。
5.这里有许多出色的艺术家,但他们的个性完全隐于幕后。
改:这里有许多出色的艺术家,但他们收敛锋芒,隐姓埋名。

674112981 发表于 2015-4-27 23:46:04

kira 发表于 2015-4-27 23:18
刘柯恋 翻译
He meditated for 10,000 hours, wrote a bestseller with his famous father and became Fra ...

经过日复一日的苦思冥想,最终他和自己久负盛名的父亲一同创作出版了一本畅销书,他也因而成为了法国名望极高的佛教徒,深谙知足常乐之道。奥德此次拜访马修.李卡德就是为了向他探讨“心灵的科学及其如何实现终结人类苦难”。
Tijn Touber|2007年4月刊
   (他的)两只耳朵都在接电话,腿上放着一台电脑。(看啊!此处删除)那个原本只想安安静静过日子,静坐冥想的僧人,无奈现在却被各大媒体追捧。马修与父亲共同创作的《僧侣与哲学家》一书使他声名大振,尤其在故乡法国。现在,他刚从尼泊尔的家离开抵达巴黎,正与一名荷兰记者坐在一套奢华的公寓里。尽管双手都接着电话,但他看起来依旧心情愉悦,气定神闲,从容淡定。
the words in red I think is very well, and the whole part is very fluent, I did not think it is a translated passege when I read it, so it is a good job and I have almost nothing to correct.

674112981 发表于 2015-4-27 23:51:41

黄妙灵翻译部分
Life can certainly take surprising turns, particularly if you're Matthieu Ricard and you find yourself part of the Parisian jet set as a young man, only to reject that lifestyle. His father, who died last year, was the philosopher Jean-Franois Ricard, who wrote a number of bestsellers, including Without Marx or Jesus, under the name "Jean-Franois Revel." He wasn't exactly pleased when his son announced at the age of 25 that he wanted to become a Buddhist. After all, like his father, Matthieu doesn't do anything halfway. He travelled to Nepal, donned a red habit and spent time in monasteries under the guidance of various teachers to master the central theme of the Buddha: putting an end to all suffering - beginning with one's own. So was young Ricard so unhappy? "No, not at all in fact," he says. "I actually had everything a young man could want." His parents were a wonderful couple who appeared to have a magnetic attraction, drawing all kinds of interesting people into their lives. Poet AndrŽ Breton, dancer Maurice BŽjart and painters Leonora Carrington and Yahne Le Toumelin were his mother's close friends. When his father organized dinners, the guest list included the likes of filmmaker Luis Buouel, politician M‡rio Soares and photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson. Not exactly a boring crowd to grow up around. "And yet," Matthieu muses from the large divan in his mother's apartment, "something kept gnawing at me. I often had the uneasy feeling that life was slipping through my fingers - as if I was only using a fraction of my potential. But I had no idea how to tap into the hidden possibilities."
生活总是充满出人意料的转折,特别是对于马修·理查德而言。马修·理查德年纪轻轻便知名于巴黎上流社会,可他本人却反对这种生活方式。他的父亲是哲学家让·弗朗索瓦·理查德,以笔名让·弗朗索瓦·何维尔著名,于去年去世。他父亲写过大量畅销书籍,其中包括《没有马克思或耶稣》。马修25岁时决定做一名佛教徒,他父亲起初并不支持。然而马修继承了他父亲的坚持,从不半途而废。他旅行至尼泊尔,身着一件红色的袈裟,在修道院里跟数位老师学习佛法的精髓:脱离苦海,到达彼岸。那么,年轻的理查德不快乐么?“事实上,正好相反”他说道“年轻人所能幻想的一切我都拥有。”他的父母如磁石一般,吸引着各色有趣的人。诗人安德烈·布列东,舞蹈家莫雷斯·巴扎赫特,油画家欧诺拉.卡灵顿和雅娜·勒杜茉蓝都是他母亲的密友,而他的父亲在举办晚宴时,像电影制片人路易斯·布努艾尔,玛雷奥·苏亚雷斯还有摄影师亨利·卡蒂埃-布列松之类的也总是列中有名。他长大的圈子可谓不一般。“至今仍然”马修在母亲公寓巨大的会议厅里冥想时说道“有一种东西一直在折磨着我。我总感觉生命正从指缝溜走,而我还有巨大的潜能有待发挥,我所挖掘的不过是其中的九牛一毛。但我却始终无法接近这隐藏着的可能。”

674112981 发表于 2015-4-28 00:02:34

674112981 发表于 2015-4-27 23:51
黄妙灵翻译部分
Life can certainly take surprising turns, particularly if you're Matthieu Ricard and ...

张书玮修改
生活总是充满出人意料的转折,特别是对于马修·理查德而言。马修·理查德年纪轻轻便知名于巴黎上流社会,可他本人却反对这种生活方式。他的父亲是哲学家让·弗朗索瓦·理查德,以笔名让·弗朗索瓦·何维尔著名,于去年去世。他父亲写过大量畅销书籍,其中包括《没有马克思或耶稣》。马修25岁时决定做一名佛教徒,他父亲起初并不支持。然而马修继承了他父亲的坚持,从不半途而废。他旅行至尼泊尔,身着一件红色的袈裟,在修道院里跟数位老师学习佛法的精髓:脱离苦海,到达彼岸。那么,年轻的理查德不快乐么?“事实上,正好相反”他说道“年轻人所能幻想的一切我都拥有。”他的父母如磁石一般,吸引着各色有趣的人。诗人安德烈·布列东,舞蹈家莫雷斯·巴扎赫特,油画家欧诺拉.卡灵顿和雅娜·勒杜茉蓝都是他母亲的密友,而他的父亲在举办晚宴时,像电影制片人路易斯·布努艾尔,玛雷奥·苏亚雷斯还有摄影师亨利·卡蒂埃-布列松之类的也总是列中有名。他长大的圈子可谓不一般。“至今仍然”马修在母亲公寓巨大的会议厅里冥想时说道“有一种东西一直在折磨着我。我总感觉生命正从指缝溜走,而我还有巨大的潜能有待发挥,我所挖掘的不过是其中的九牛一毛。但我却始终无法接近这隐藏着的可能。”
   I think it's a good job. so, I really have nothing to correct. the words in red is the good translation in my opinion.

674112981 发表于 2015-4-28 00:17:42

674112981 发表于 2015-4-27 21:16
老师,我是张书玮,由于我密码找不到了,所以用曹蓓的账号发。。。
Moreover, Ricard saw that the genius ...

黄妙灵 修改张书玮部分
然而,理查德却发现他父母的朋友们所拥有的天赋并没有将他们塑造成更优秀的人,:“除去他们身上的艺术感,科学性以及文学气质,他们并没有比其他人更善良或是更无私。”年少的理查德就问过自己,何处才能找到像柏拉图或i苏格拉底那样可以教给我实用智慧的智者呢?谁可以告诉我生命的真谛?谁又可以给我一个能够让我为之努力终生的目标?而问题的答案在一个意料之外的地方被理查德找到。一天,他在拜访朋友时,偶然间看到了关于西藏喇嘛的短片,从此给他留下了很深的印象。“我记得我当时在思考‘如果世间存在完美的话,那么就是它了。’然而,我也意识到,我不可能遇见柏拉图和苏格拉底了,但是他们却是我所能追求的。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: The world's happiest man