1801100808 发表于 2012-11-16 20:02:11

Do many hands make light work?

There is a saying, many hands make light work. More people taking part in a task means less work every participator should do and for every individual they have light work. It sounds obvious, but when we think deeper, we can see that it is not based on facts. In a disorder group, more participators certainly mean they need do to more work. How could we say they make light work? In my opinion, many hands not always make light work.
Many hands only pursue the quantity but not the quality while the two sides are equally important when we doing a task. With the deficiency of either side we couldn’t do a perfect job. First of all, if a group is not well organized they will cause more trouble in their job let alone light work. It is said that too many cooks spoil the broth. This is very reasonable. We usually regard ants as the typical example of union is strength. But when we see a group of ants carrying a biscuit eastward, and you use a paper to sweep away the ants in the west side of the biscuit, you could find that ants move eastward faster than before. In fact, each ant is carrying the biscuit in its own way and this obviously waste energy. Different people have different opinions, and in such a chaos situation many hands make heavy work. Further more, if we spend much time to practice a group in order to get rid of that awkward situation, this process still need energy. On the other hand, elite could deal things better than together with many people. We are the people live in the society and we need team work. However, in a sloppy and large group we could not work efficiently. That’s why when we facing a financial crisis, many major corporations need layoff to save expense. The corporation could not load so many employees and they need the best of them stay. The last but not least is that I don’t mean that we do not need group work, but we need well organized group work. In many cases, the number of participators is not the larger the better. If we can finish something by one people, why we have to find three people finish it together. And the three need to communicate with each other and discuss for a common consent. That’s a waste of time! They can do their own favorite things individually and achieve more when we add the work they have done together.
To summarize, many hands dose not always make light work. Certainly I can’t deny the advantage of group work and team power because we are closely connected with each other in this world. At the same time I want to declare that we not only need the quantity but also the quality. As they are not well organized and unnecessary, too many people only lead to poor efficiency.

By: 余江枫
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Do many hands make light work?