英语0907詹晓明 发表于 2011-12-4 22:27:43

My Disbelief of an Old Saying

本帖最后由 英语0907詹晓明 于 2011-12-5 22:46 编辑

My Disbelief of an Old Saying

‘Goods will be rewarded and evil deeds will be punished .If this had not happened , it is simply because the time has not yet come .’ , a saying from a canon of Buddhism (璎珞经•有行无行品),by which the Buddhism tries to illustrate every consequence has its own origin, targets at persuading people to do good deeds instead of what would bring them disaster. Prevailing in China for hundreds of years and accepted by generations of people , the assertion is seldom challenged. In very rare cases , once it was challenged , the one who ever supposed otherwise would necessarily be overwhelmed by irony and glare from those conformists who are with everything but a brain. As far as my twenty years of experience and learning of cases and stories from both home and abroad are concerned, I viewed the opinion with faith when I was in elementary and junior school , doubt in senior high school and contempt and mockery in university.I once confronted with a fair lady who holds the belief with the reason that regardless its veracity , she would rather accept this philosophy and suppose the world is just , for a world in want of retribution is quite unimaginable to her innocent mind. I can apprehend her apprehension. For my part , however, the conviction is in capable of holding water for following perspectives.

What is right and what is wrong are easy judgments in the light of scientific arena, since there is a universal, objective , inherent and implicit law that transcends boundaries of nations and values of different cultures and races. But rarely in the cases of social issues which implicate various interest groups and different ideologies . Like beauty is in the eyes of beholder, good and evil, as well , are in the eyes of beholders . The definitions of and the distinction between good and evil vary with different principles and standards. What is good deeds in terms of one’s own party maybe the most wicked crime in rivals’ terms and vice versa 。For instance , our beloved party ,CPC, a faithful server of money and power and exalted by none except himself, once was referred to as “communist bandits by our behated party , KMT,owing primarily to their representatives of opposed social classes and conflicting political interests.
   Nevertheless, be there clear definitions of and distinctions between good and evil and be there a state of knowledge were such that it provides us with a model of unquestioned validity that can complete tell good from evil , would benefactors be rewarded and evildoer punished? The case of Pengyu ,a case where the verdict of court distorted his benevolence and made sensational news,had already familiarized us with a lesson , a lesson that stirs great anger among netizens , a lesson that outrages national appreciation of benefactions , a lesson that spawns considerable doubt over the authority of law and right of traditional morality ,a lesson that would redefine and reverse our views of benefactions and once and for all transform our conduct when coming across a senior citizen falling down on the floor. Let me provide you with another evidence that ever since 1978, the time when china began reforming and adopting open-door policy , altogether there were approximately 1,0000 corrupt officials , who, in the aftermath of an investigation, immediately fled to foreign lands, where they have prepared for themselves with sumptuous villas , modern facilities , inexhaustible money and everything that a licentious life calls for , taking away with them the sum of money amounting to RMB1,000,000,000,000,almost 100,000,000 per parasite, which took a great toll in economy .Worse more , the venal officials are well considerate and cunning , because the countries where they plot to flee are usually forbidden extradition, which would spare them from punishment of Chinese law . Some may maintain that there does have fleeing criminals that can be extradited , like Laichangxing , a legendary figure. But these cases are few and far between ,perhaps less than one among a hundred. Most of them are fortunate enough to live a licentious life. The above two examples well convince us that ‘ good deeds will be punished and evil deeds rewarded’ is more of the case.
From what I have illustrated above , either from political or official perspective or social perspective , the saying can barely hold water. Even so , we may as well do good deeds instead of evil deeds that would probably bring us disaster.
页: [1]
查看完整版本: My Disbelief of an Old Saying