E0907郝准 发表于 2011-12-4 21:58:43

GRE Argument

本帖最后由 E0907郝准 于 2011-12-10 10:12 编辑

The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend.
"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago I listed my home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams Realty."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

My dear friend,
Thanks for your suggestion very much. You said between Adams Realty and Fitch Realty, the two leading real estate firms in our town, Adams Realty is clearly superior.
The first supporting fact, as was stated in your letter, is that Adams, in comparison with Fitch’s owning mere 25 real estate agents, even among which many ones worked only part-time, had been in possession of 40 real estate agents, from which one implication can be easily inferred—Adams is more abundant in manpower resources, providing people with more choices, especially outstanding real estate agents, because unlike those who work part-time in Fitch, the real estate agents in Adams are fulltime, thus, they will spare far more time and energy in their job and have more possibility to be expert in it. If I ask Adams for help, my succeeding in selling my house is, undoubtedly, just around the corner.
Adams’s revenue, due to the great contributions of real estate agents and the advantages in quite many aspects, last year was twice as high as that of Fitch, among which home sales in Adams averaged $168,000, while those in Fitch merely averaged $144,000. From these illustrating data you gave, I can see that not only did more homeowners manage to sell their houses, but also they can sell them at a higher price and gain more, with the aid of Adams, rather than Fitch. So if I use Adams Realty, I am rather likely to sell mine at a good price, let alone just sell it.
Next it comes to Adams’ work efficiency, as you have mentioned in your last argument or assumption. We can not only sell our home listed with Adams at a relative high price without any great effort, but also accomplish this task as quickly as we can. To illustrate this point, you, based on your own experience, make a comparison between Adams and Fitch. You said ten years ago you listed your home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when you sold another home, you listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. From my point of view, however, it is not and reasoned enough, thus also not convictive enough. Really, only an individual’s experience cannot prove something.
As a whole, the assumptions you presented are mostly warranted, except one assumption still need expanding, to illustrate your point or support your argument that choosing Adam is absolutely sensible. But still, I will appreciate it very much if you are willing to provide me with more examples to testify its selling homes fast.
Thanks for your kindness again!
Yours,
Dream
页: [1]
查看完整版本: GRE Argument