侯雪 发表于 2011-11-9 22:50:08

哈佛幸福课第三课第三波~

to deal with illness: one , the positive psychology approach is
对付疾病,一是积极地心理学方法
that the illness is the absence of health,
它指的是,疾病相当于不健康,
as opposed to health is the absence of illness.
相对的健康等于没有疾病。
I mean, think about the disease model.
我们想一下疾病模式。
The disease model is “we are sick because we are ill”
疾病模式是“我们感到不适是因为生病了”
Do you listen to that ? We are sick because we are ill.
懂么?我们病了是因为我们在生病。
That was very profound.
真的很深奥。
You should think about it for a while here.
你们可能要好好想一下这句话。
I`ll let a time just to marinate it little bit so that you can.
我给大家一点时间去消化一下这句话。
Let me start that again.
我重新说一遍。
If we take away the illness, then we become healthy.
如果治好病,我们就会健康。
That`s the model, the conventional model.
这是个传统的模式。
Take away the illness. You`ll become healthy.It`s good.
把病治好了。你变得健康了。这很好。
The positive psychological model is slightly different.
积极心理学模式略有不同。
“You are ill because you don`t have enough health in your life,
“你生病了,是因为你还不够健康。
because you are not pursuing those things that make you healthy.”
因为你不去追求那些让你健康的东西。”
And what makes you healthy?
什么使你健康?
The things I spoke about before:pursuing meaning, purpose;
这之前我已经谈过,要追求有意义的生活,人生的目的,
cultivating healthy relationships.
培养健康的人际关系。
If we don`t have these things, that`s when the illness comes in.
如果不具备这些,疾病就会乘虚而入。
Now the difference between the two models,
这两种模式的差异,
the healthy model and the disease model
健康模式和疾病模式的差异
is more than just semantic.
不仅仅是语义上的。
Here is Abraham Maslow talking about neurosis,
这是Abraham Maslow所说的神经官能症
“Neurosis is a falling short of what one could have been
“ 神经官能症描述的是人能变成怎样

and even one could say, of what one should have been,
或是他该变成怎样
biologically speaking that is
从生理上来说就是
if one had grown and developed in an unimpeded way.
一个人是否能顺利成长和发展
Human and personal possibilities have been lost.
“人类和个人的潜能已经消失
The world has been narrowed and so has consciousness.
世界逐渐缩小,意识也是。
Capacities have been inhabited.”
能力也被抑制。”
Let me explain what he means here.
这里让我先解释一下。
What he means is that we are ill because we do not cultivate
他是说,我们正在生病是因为我们没有
what we are about enough.
尽力做好我们本应该做到的事。
We do not become self-actualized.
我们没有做到自我实现。
We don`t do what we are supposed to do.
没做到应该做的。
We diminish ourselves and that`s when we become ill
我们削弱自身力量,因此才会生病。
That`s when we are unwell.
才会不适。
This is very different from the disease model that says,
这和疾病模式所说的大相径庭,
“Ok, you are unwell. Deal with that illness.”
“好,你不舒服,那就去治病去吧。”
What he`s saying“No. You are unwell.
他说:“你不舒服。
Focus on your health. Strengthen your health.
要注重健康,加强你的健康,
Because you are ill.Because you are not focusing enough on your health.”
因为你病了,因为你没有注重健康。”
He calls that, and I quote,
他将这称为
“a failure of personal growth”.
“个人成长的失败”
That`s when we experience neurosis.
如果我们感到焦虑
When we don`t cultivate ourselves enough,
如果我们不注重培养自己的能力,
we don`t cultivate our relationships enough, that`s when we fail.
不注重培养自己的人际关系,就会失败。
And what the positive psychology is all about is precisely that,
积极心理学研究的是关于
cultivating personal growth, working on the positive.
培养自身的成长和积极性。
When we work on the positive on what comes of this side,
我们研究积极性,它处于这一边
of the graph that you saw up here.
大家可以在这上面看到。
On the positive side, when we cultivate these things,
在积极地一方,当我们注重培养这些感情因素,
it also helps us deal much better
就会助于我们更好地处理
with the negative when dead arises.
消极因素。
I want to quote Martin Seligman,
我想引用Martin Seligman的话,
who talks about precisely this idea:
他说过这样一句话:
“In the last decade
“在过去的十年,
psychologists have become concerned with prevention.
心理学家关心的都是预防的问题。
How can we prevent problems like depression
怎样才能预防像抑郁症这样的心理问题
or substance abuse or schizophrenia in young people
或年轻人中常出现的药物滥用或精神分裂症
who are genetically vulnerable or who live in worlds
谁天生敏感脆弱,谁又是
that nurture these problem?
制造这些问题的人?
How can we prevent murderous schoolyard violence in children
如何防止校园暴力
who have access to weapons, poor parental supervision,
这些暴力事件通常是由掌握武器,缺乏父母监管
and a mean streak?”
或受到教唆的孩子引起的?”
Now he`s asking this question and the disease model
他问了这个问题,根据疾病模式
response to this is we need to help them deal
我们需要帮助他们直接
directly with depression,
处理抑郁症,
with their anxiety and with their unhappiness
还有他们的焦虑和忧愁,
so that we can prevent all these social ills
才能防止所有这些社会弊病,
whether it`s violence, whether it`s unhappiness.
无论是暴力还是不快乐。
What he`s saying here is the following:
他是这么说的
“What we have learned over fifty years is that the disease model
“五十多年的经验告诉我们,疾病模式
does not move us closer to the prevention
不能让我们更有力地预防
of these serious problems.
这些严重问题。
Indeed the major strides in prevention
事实上,在预防方面取得的重大进展
have largely come from a perspective focused
基本上来自一个观点
on systematically building competency, not correcting weakness.”
也就是注重培养能力,而非改正错误。”
In other words, the health model:
换句话说,健康模式倡导:
let`s work on competencies.
培养能力。
Let`s work on strength. Let`s work on relationship.
增强自身长处,改善人际关系。
Let`s help them identify something meaningful in their life,
帮助人们找到对自己人生有意义的事,
their passion.
他们的激情。
And that`s how we will, over time,
那就我们要致力做到的。
also help what comes off on the negative side.
同样对克服消极因素有所帮助。
Health model versus the disease model
健康模式与疾病模式不同,
that goes directly to deal with the disease.
疾病模式提倡直接处理疾病。
Now again, Seligman is not saying“ to the exclusion of”;
Seligman不是说“排除”疾病模式,
he`s saying “also”
而是说“健康模式”也行。
He continues,
他还说:“
“We have discovered that there are human strengths
“我们已发现有些人类的力量
That act as buffers against mental illness:
能抵抗心理疾病:
courage, future-mindedness, optimism, interpersonal skill,
勇气,未来规划,乐观,人际技巧
faith, work ethic, hope, honesy, perseverance,
信念,职业道德,希望,诚实,毅力,
the capacity for flow and insight, to name several.
专注及洞察力,诸如此类。
We`v shown that learning optimism prevents depression
研究证实,乐观可以帮助儿童和成人
and anxirty in children and adults,
预防抑郁和焦虑,
roughly halving their incidence over the next 2 years.
使未来两年的发病率降低一半。
Similarly, I believe that we wish to prevent drug abuse
同样,如果我们要防止
in teenagers who grow up in a neighborhood
青少年受不良社会环境影响
that put them at risk,
而滥用药物的情况,
the effective prevention is not remedial.
但预防效果不佳。
Rather, it consists of identifying and amplifying the strengths that these teens already have.
相反,它认定并扩大了这个事实:青少年已滥用药物。

It’s exactly what Marva Clollins did:
Marva Clollins所做的是:

Focused on the health and cultivated it, water it and shed a light to it, realized it.
注重健康并用心栽培它、浇水,给予阳光并时刻关注它。

We’ll tale about these ideas throughout the course.
在整个课程中,我们将探讨这些观点。

What health model does。This is the theme we go through all the course. is cultivate capacity.
“健康模式能做的是什么。”培养能力是我们这堂课着重讲解的内容。

It cultivate the capacity to deal with the negatives when these arrive whether it’s negative and painful experiences in relationships, or in ourselves.
培养我们处理消极因素的无论是人际关系上的消极和痛苦经历还是我们自身的。

What does that mean? Lat me draw two analogies.
那意味着什么?我为大家做两个类比。

Cultivating capacity is about creating a strong psychological immune system.
培养能力就是创造一个强大的心理免疫系统。

These are the words of Nathaniel Branden. Psychological immune system.
这是Nathaniel Branden的观点。心理免疫系统。

What happens when we have a strong physical immune system?
如果我们有强大的生理免疫系统会怎样?

Dose it mean we don’t get ill?
这是否意味着我们不会生病?

Of course not. We do.
当然不是,我们仍然会生病。

But it means that we get ill less often and when we do get sick, we recover more promptly.
但这意味着我们不会常生病,就算病了也能恢复得更快。

This is exactly what cultivating strength, optimistic, sense of purpose, meaning, mindfulness, this is exactly what these characteristics do.
这就是培养的力量。乐观、追求、意义、规划,真是这些因素的作用。

They enlarge transform the way we see, the way we experience the word, enlarge the capacity of the form and that’s the we are better able to deal the inevitable diffidulties.
他们会放大并改变我们看待世界和体验世界的方式,让我们突破框架,引发潜能,使我们能更好的应对不可避免的困难。
And there are inevitable difficulties.
不可避免的困难的确存在。

No life is completely immune to those.
没有谁的人生是一帆风顺的。

So it strengthens our immune system.
它可以增强我们的免疫系统。

And another analogy we can use is of an engine.
另一个类比是关于引擎的。

If we have a small engine, and we have to pull the car up a steep hill, a difficult hill, the engine is more likely to collapse, to blow up.
如果我们用的引擎很小,想吧车开上一个陡峭的山坡,引擎很容易损毁,爆炸。

Whereas, if our engine is large, we are much more likely to get up the hill, and to do it gracefully with relative ease.
但如果我们的引擎够大,要上山就容易得多,毫不费力就能做到。

So what we are doing: we cultivating the positive
所以我们在做的是:培养积极性

We are strengthening our, metaphorically speaking, psychological engine. And we are better to deal with the negative to zero, not mention the face that we are also able to become happier.
按那个比喻来说,我们正在增强心理引擎。我们能更好的将负值转化为零,更别说还能变得更快乐。

Because happiness does not just cone spontaneously when we negate unhappiness.
因为快乐不会自发而来,不会因为消除了忧愁,就变得快乐。

I want to go back to our local village.
我想说说我们这里的事。

So remember last time, I put up the article by the Crimson that was unfortunately I coundn’t find a more recent one—that was 2004?
记得上次我提出的《哈弗里姆森》,那个我找不到更近期一点的,也许2004年?

But the situation is rather similar today.
但今天的情况非常相似。

And one of the things that the Crimson article said is that we need to put more resources into mental heath at Harvard.
那文章提到的一点是我们需要为哈佛学生的心理健康投入更多。

And that’s the important, I agree. However, it’s only part of the picture.
这点很重要,我非常赞同,但这只是其中的一点。

What we often to do is to put the resources in some different places as well—not only, as well.
我们要做的是将资源投入到其他一些地方。

Because it’s just not enough to put these resources in places that helps us heal with our depression and anxiety and unhappiness directly.
因为只是投入资源帮助我们应当与一语、焦虑和忧愁是远远不够的。

It’s also important to put these resources in places that help us cultivate capacity, the capacity to deal with these difficulties and hardships when they arise and they will arise.
同样重要的是投入资源帮助我们培养自身的能力,应对困能和艰辛的能力,这些困难一直参在并会继续出现的。

In other words, these has to be more resources put in paces such as helping students identify their passions when they come here, helping students identify their sense of meaning in life, helping students identify what they really, really, really want to do, helping students over come the pull, the external pull that is often there, taking them away from their core, helping them chip away those limitations, those voices, helping students identify who they really are, helping students identify their strengths and pursuing those while here at Harvard.
换句话说,必须在以下方面投入更多的资源,例如帮助学生发掘自己的兴趣、发现人生的意义、使他们明确自己真正想做的事,帮助他们克服种种身边让他们偏离自己的道路的诱惑,还有解放那些束缚,摆脱杂念,帮他们找到自己真是的个性,帮助他们了解自己的强项并在哈佛实现一切,

All these capabilities, all these skills or skills that are mostly and I’m not just talking about Harvard, globally—not taught in school.
所有这些能力、所有这些技能,大多数都,不只是哈佛,二十全球范围内,没有一所学校会交这些技能。

And we need to teach them.
所以我们需要教他们。


This is not to say that what is going at Harvard with numerous resources that we do have here is not important. It is very important.
这并不是说哈佛现在正投入大量资源的方面不重要。这非常重要。

Just take a small example: the Bureau of Study Counsel.
举个小例子:学习咨询处。

I don’t know how many of you have used that resource.
我不知道你们有多少人利用过该资源。

I’ve used it as an undergrad.
我上大学时已经开始接触它。

I still use it now, doing some work with them.
至今还与他们一起做事。

I did some work with them last year. And they are wonderful.
去年我与他们合作过。他们很棒。

And at the same time, we also need to cultivate the positive, to think more of the zero to the positive side of equation as well.
同时我们还需要培养积极性,如何让我们从零升到激情高涨。

And this is what positive psychology dose and I hope this is what 1504 to some extent will help do.
这就是积极心理学的作用,我希望1504号课程在一定程度上有帮助。

To summarize:the message of the positive psychology movement is to remind our field that it has been deformed.
做个总结:积极心理学运动提醒我们,这个领域已经与过去不同。

Psychology is not just the study of disease, weakness, and damage, it also is the study of strength and virtue.
心理学不仅是对疾病、弱点、伤害进行研究,它也研究优点和美德。

Treatment is not just fixing what is wrong. It also is building what is right.
治疗不是修复错误,同时也要塑造正确的东西。

Psychology is not just about illness or health. It is about work, education, insight, love, growth, and play.
心理学关注的不仅仅是疾病或健康状况,还包括工作、教育、洞察力、爱和玩乐。

And in this quest for what is best, positive psychology does not rely on wishful thinking, self-deception, or hand waving. Instead, it tries to adapt what is best in the scientific method to the unique problems that human behavior presents in all its complexity.
在追求理想状态时,积极心理学不会盲目主观或自欺欺人。相反,它尝试用最科学的方法来探究,及其复杂的人类行为所表现出来的特殊问题。

It’s about bridging the lvory tower and the Main Street in the area I believe is the most important one and talks to each and every one of us.
还涉及到如何将学校与社会连接起来,这个我认为最重要的领域,对我们都有意义。
I want to move on now.
我继续说。
I want to move on to the next selective lectures two or two and a half lectures, where I am going to talking about the basic premises of this course.
我想先说说下一节关于选择的课程,两节或两节半课,我将会谈到本课程的基本前提。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 哈佛幸福课第三课第三波~